Introducing the Citroën C1
A city car should be brimming with character and options for personalisation, which is what the Citroën C1 has in abundance. In its latest generation, there are now more desirable features than ever, which line up alongside a number of driver aids. Who said city cars were spartan?
On top of the clever design - which results in a surprisingly spacious interior - there is a super-efficient engine that will help save you money at the pumps. As a result, you're spending more time enjoying the open road.
The C1 has made a big impression for such a small car, so keep on reading to see what your money gets you; it's more than you'd think.
Design and Practicality
The C1 has come a long way since its introduction in 2005, which is reflected in the contemporary exterior design and the ingenious interior layout. It all translates to a fun car that is a joy to own and drive.
Five-door versions are proving popular at the moment because of their practicality. However, the three-door cars come with position memory front seats for maximum convenience. The boot isn't gargantuan at 196 litres, but it's more than enough for your weekly food shop. Although, fold them flat and you get a very respectable 780 litres to play with.
The interior itself is filled with plenty of well-positioned storage compartments, while the steering wheel mounted controls are guaranteed to make life easier on a daily basis. Oh, and there's 32 customisation combinations available, which makes the buying decision difficult for all the right reasons.
Technology and Safety
Citroën C1 boasts a fair bit of technology and safety equipment despite its modest price. The Mirror Screen technology allows you to access the apps on your smartphone via the car's 7-inch touchscreen. To top it all off, the infotainment system is compatible with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
Depending on the model you opt for, you will get access to keyless entry and start, which is ideal for those moments when you have your hands full. You can also get a reversing camera, which is a must-have when parking in the urban jungle.
Safety features include:
- Electronic Stability Programme (ESP)
- Low tyre pressure monitoring system
- Active City Brake
- Lane departure warning system
- Hill start assist
Economy and Performance
Citroën have kept it simple with the C1's range of engines, because it's not actually a range at all. No, that's because you get a 1.0-litre three-cylinder petrol engine under the bonnet regardless of the specification you choose.
This isn't a bad thing though, because the 1.0-litre engine is very efficient, which means less money being spent on fuel and less CO2 being emitted. In fact, you could see up to 79 mpg on the open road, which becomes 68 mpg on a combined cycle.
There may only be 72 bhp on tap, but it feels punchy throughout the rev-range because of how light the C1 is. The 5-speed manual gearbox makes it easy to access the power available; essential for exploiting gaps in traffic.
- 14 inch ‘Star’ wheel covers
- Black door mirrors
- Rear spoiler
- Grey ‘Mica’ cloth
- MP3 audio system with 2 speakers and USB socket
- Driver’s, front passenger’s, front lateral and curtain airbags
- ABS with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) and Emergency Braking Assistance (EBA)
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Two rear ISOFIX mounting points
- LED daytime running lights
- Hill Start Assist
- Remote central locking with deadlocks
- Puncture repair kit
- Variable assistance power steering
- Height adjustable steering wheel
- Front electric windows
Key features in addition to Live:
- Driver's, front passenger's, front lateral and curtain airbags
- High-frequency remote control central locking with deadlocks
- Electronic Stability Programme (ESP)
- Height-adjustable driver's seat
- Rear 50/50 split/folding seats
- Rear headrests
- Variable power assisted steering
- Air conditioning
- 15" 'Comet' wheel covers
Key features in addition to Sense:
- Speed limiter
- Reversing camera
- Chrome lower window trim insert
- Dark tinted rear windows
- Leather steering wheel
- Rev counter
- Electrically adjustable and heated door mirrors
- 15" 'Planet' alloy wheels
Ket features in addition to Shine:
- 15 inch ‘Planet’ black alloy wheels with blue centre caps
- Black bi-tone roof (except Caldera Black models)
- Flared wheel arch extensions
- JCC+ badging and rear quarter graphic
- Scarlet red door mirror caps
- Custom JCC+ cloth trim and JCC+ carpet mats
- Scarlet upper dashboard with anodised white air vent surrounds
- Gloss black multimedia surround & gear lever base
- Automatic air-conditioning and Automatic headlights
Test Drive the Citroën C1
The Citroën C1 is the epitome of what a good city car should be, it's inexpensive to run and packed with all the safety features you'll need. On top of that, it has bags of character that you can tailor to your personality thanks to the huge amount of customisation available.
If you want to learn more about the C1 and how it could be configured to you, then why not pay us a visit at your nearest Evans Halshaw Citroën retailer.