Vehicle Insurance

Vehicle Insurance

A quick guide to insuring your vehicle

What is vehicle insurance?

Insurance covers the cost of repairing vehicles that are damaged during a road traffic accident. It's against the law to drive on the public roads without insurance, and unless a car has been formally declared as off the road by a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notice), then it must be both taxed and insured.

Types of insurance

There are three main types of car insurance:

Third party - this covers the cost of repairing the vehicle of a third party in the event of an accident in which you are at fault.

Third party, fire and theft - same as third party, but you are also covered in the event of a vehicle fire and if your vehicle is stolen.

Comprehensive - in addition to covering all of the above, your own vehicle is covered against any damage in the event of an accident.

Types of use

When organising car insurance, you must say what the vehicle is going to be used for, whether it's for personal use only (classed as social), whether you are going to commute in the vehicle and whether or not you are going to use it for business.

Making company deliveries and travelling in between business appointments is classed as business use, and you will need to arrange insurance cover accordingly.

Does Evans Halshaw provide car or van insurance?

No, we don't. However, you can get insurance that's backed by the manufacturer through our franchised dealer network. Each car manufacturer has their own branded car insurance product - simply speak to your local Evans Halshaw dealership for more information.

How long does car insurance last?

Standard car and van insurance policies have to be renewed every 12 months. Most insurers will allow you to pay monthly, although you can sometimes be charged extra to do so.