Introducing the Ford Mondeo
Engaging to drive, inexpensive to run and loaded with technology; this is what the Mondeo has built its reputation on since its introduction in 1993.
The latest generation is much of the same story, only now you get an even better interior, more efficient choice of engines, and even higher levels of sophistication. The latest generation Ford Mondeo may look and be the same size as a saloon car, but it's actually super spacious and practical hatchback.
Specifics aside, the Mondeo still offers all the welcome characteristics associated with the Ford brand. On top of this, Ford have made a full hybrid (HEV) powertrain available with the Mondeo for enhanced efficiency and lower CO2 emissions.
Design and Practicality
Ford have implemented a sleek and contemporary design with the latest Mondeo, which is beautifully complemented by a host of sharp features. As a result, the Mondeo gives off a premium impression without losing its identity.
Mondeo is the definition of the perfect all-rounder, because there's acres of space inside, meaning you'll never hear a complaint about legroom from passengers in the rear. On top of this, the boot space is massive at 541 litres, and can be accessed with ease thanks to the low and wide opening.
If that isn't enough for you, then the Mondeo is available as an estate, which is perfect for "staycation" adventures and days out with the family.
Technology and Safety
Packed with technology, the Mondeo has been designed to make driving easier and safer; plain and simple! The Adaptive Cruise Control is a welcome feature that makes long distance journeys more enjoyable, while driver aids such as Hill Start Assist and Active Park Assist make the daily commute less stressful.
Naturally, the Mondeo comes with a powerful infotainment system that's easy to use and boasts crisp graphics. The menus are simple to navigate, which really helps when you want to change settings quickly while you're on the move.
Ford pride themselves on the safety of their cars, which is why the Mondeo comes with a 5-star Euro NCAP rating. Safety features include:
- Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection
- Emergency Brake Assist
- Electronic Stability Control (E0SC)
- Traction Control System (TCS)
Engines and Performance
The great thing with the engine range is there's no poor choice, it completely depends on what you want and need.
The 2.0-litre petrol engine is available in the Mondeo Hybrid, putting out 184bhp. When it comes to diesel, there are 147bhp and 187bhp versions of Ford's popular 2.0-litre EcoBlue diesel engine.
In terms of transmission, the Mondeo Hybrid is paired with a CVT automatic, whilst you get the choice of a 6-speed manual or a slick 8-speed automatic with the diesel engines.
Efficiency is excellent as you'd imagine, with the hybrid-petrol engine able to achieve up to 50.4mpg on a combined cycle, while the diesels can return up to 56.5mpg.
Finally, there's also an option of an all-wheel drive model with the diesel-powered estate or hatchback.
- 17" alloy wheels
- Halogen projector headlights, LED tail lights and LED Day Time Running Lights
- Rain sensing front windscreen wipers
- Chrome surround to upper grille & side windows
- Black roof rails (Estate)
- Power folding door mirrors with puddle lights
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Ford DAB Audio with Navigation System
- SYNC 3 with 8" colour touchscreen
- Ford power start
- Cruise control with adjustable speed limiter
- Pre-collision assist with pedestrian and cyclist detection
- Traffic Sign Recognition and Lane Keeping Aid
- Automatic headlights with auto high/low beam
- Quickclear heated front windscreen
- ISOFIX attachments for child seats
Key features additional to Zetec Edition:
- 18" alloy wheels
- Keyless Entry and Ford power start
- 10-way driver & passenger power seats (drivers seat with memory)
- Variable heated front seats
- Bright-finish front door scuff plates
- Multi-colour ambient lighting
- Bright roof rails (Wagon only)
Key features additional to Titanium Edition:
- 19" 'Rock Metallic' alloy wheels
- ST-Line bodystyling kit
- Rear privacy glass
- Rear spoiler (Estate only)
- Black roof rails (Estate)
- Red brake calipers
- Dark headliner (not available with 4D HEV entities)
- Stainless steel finish scuff plates with 'ST-Line' logo
- Front & rear deluxe carpet floor mats with red stitching
- Sport Tuned Suspension
- 19" alloy wheels - exclusive Dark Tarnish (5-Door & Estate)
- Unique Ford Vignale exterior styling with dark tarnish detailing (5-Door & Estate)
- Ford LED adaptive headlamps
- Vignale grille - upper and lower
- Rear privacy glass
- Power Tailgate (5-Door & Estate)
- 10-way multi contour front seats
- Heated Steering Wheel (not available with HEV entities)
- Rear view camera
- SONY DAB Audio System CD Player and Navigation
- Enhanced ambient lighting
- Front Door Scuff plates with Vignale script
- Front & rear luxury velours carpet floor mats
- Active Noise Control
- Twin 4.2" TFT cluster display and SmartGauge (Hybrid Powertrain only)
Test drive the Ford Mondeo
There's a number of rivals within the Mondeo's segment, yet it manages to stay up there with the best thanks to its build quality and superb value for money. If you also remember that the Mondeo is one of the most engaging cars to drive in this class, then it makes just that little bit more sense.