Introducing the Ford EcoSport
Navigate the urban jungle in a compact SUV that was designed for the city, but built to escape it when you feel the need. Its rugged looks feel right at home whether you're zipping through the streets or tackling country roads.
It's a flexible, safe and feature-packed model that's easy to live with and fun to drive. It's won lots of awards too, with 90% of the Good Housekeeping reader reviewers complementing its smooth and comfortable drive.
Both petrol and diesel models available, depending on your preference, and while there are several different models to choose from, all of them are well equipped as standard.
Design and Practicality
Despite its compact exterior dimensions, the EcoSport is pleasingly flexible, and is more than practical as a family car for families with a couple of kids. The boot features a handy adjustable load floor with three height settings, and in its lowest setting gives you a cargo capacity that's a fair bit larger to the one you'll find on the Fiesta or Focus. The tailgate opens sidewards too, giving you a nice wide opening in which to load your cargo.
The EcoSport is built to conquer all those city hazards such as potholes, road works and speed humps. It can tackle high kerbs with ease too, thanks to its increased ride height.
The rugged appearance is typified by its chunky front end, roof rails and optional rear-mounted spare wheel cover, which all add to the authentic SUV experience.
Interior and Technology
There's no such thing as a low-spec EcoSport, with all models featuring alloy wheels, air conditioning, cruise control and a Quickclear windscreen as standard. The infotainment is top notch - the Ford SYNC system comes with an 8-inch touchscreen, DAB radio and FordPass Connect.
Your safety is taken care of too, thanks to advanced active safety systems such as pre-collision assist (which includes autonomous emergency braking), traffic sign recognition, a tyre pressure monitoring system and an electronic stability programme with hill launch assist.
Top-spec models get extra toys such as sat nav, automatic climate control, keyless entry and a rear view camera with parking sensors.
Economy and Performance
You have the choice between both petrol and diesel power with the EcoSport. 1.0-litre petrol EcoSports come in three different power outputs: 99bhp, 123bhp and 138bhp, depending on which you prefer. The good news is the mpg figure barely changes between all three of them, so there's no penalty in terms of economy, and you should regularly see 45mpg on the trip computer.
The 1.5-litre EcoBlue diesel model is available with either 99bhp or 123bhp, and offers superior economy to the petrol model of up to 56mpg.
Only the petrol 123bhp model is available with an automatic transmission, and if you want a four-wheel drive EcoSport you'll have to opt for the diesel engine with a manual gearbox.
- 16" 5-Spoke Magnetic painted alloy wheels
- Headlamps with LED day running lights
- Front fog lights
- Quickclear windscreen
- Electrically-operated and heated door mirrors
- Electronic Stability Programme (ESP) with Hill Launch Assist
- Manual air conditioning
- Rake/reach adjustable steering wheel with audio controls
- Power front & rear windows
- Height adjustment on driver's seat
- Thatcham alarm
- Cruise control inc. intelligent speed limiter
- Pre-collison assist including autonomous emergency braking
- Traffic sign recognition (TSR)
- Ford SYNC with 8" Touchscreen, DAB Radio & FordPass Connect (Embedded Modem)
Key features additional to Zetec:
- Power front & rear windows with Global opening/closing
- Silver roof rails
- Front door threshold plates
- Ford SYNC 3 Navigation
- Rear View Camera with rear parking sensors
- Centre console with sliding armrest
- Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC)
- Automatic headlights
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- Keyless start with Ford Power Start button
Key features additional to Titanium:
- 17" 5-spoke Dark Tarnish alloy wheels
- Sports Suspension
- ST-Line bodystyling kit
- Front door threshold plates with ST-Line logo
- Large rear spoiler
- ST-Line front grille
- Sports pedals with stainless steel inserts
- Contrast Painted Roof and Door Mirrors
- Sensico-trimmed steering wheel, handbrake handle and gearshift gaiter with red stitching
- Dinamica & Partial Sensico seat trim with red stitching
Test Drive the Ford EcoSport
As an overall package, the EcoSport makes a lot of sense as a family car. Its compact proportions are ideally suited to inner city or town life, and make it easy to park in tight spaces. But it makes the most of its proportions and the interior space is still excellent.
It's fun to drive too, and the EcoBoost engines really do push it along nicely, while great fuel economy makes it cheap to run as well.
To experience the Ford EcoSport for yourself, book a test drive with your nearest Evans Halshaw Ford dealership.