In this ultra-connected world of smart technology and communication, your greatest fear in life may be watching the draining life of your phone battery slip away beyond your control, just when you're awaiting that important call. But whilst these things are important, a bigger inconvenience would be the fateful, sudden demise of your car's hardworking battery when you're nowhere near to home.
Cold Weather Battery Care Equipment
There are a number of things you can do to prepare for battery failure. Investing in booster cables or a battery charger may mean you don't have to contact a recovery service. Battery chargers and booster cables are available from most car accessory retailers.
If you encounter battery failure, finding your booster cables and attempting to flag down a passing motorist is difficult enough as it is but on a cold morning, even the most kind-hearted of motorists may think twice about stopping. If you're out in the sticks when you encounter battery failure, it can be altogether more serious for you as temperatures can rapidly plummet after the sun goes down.
Car Battery Tips for Winter
- Battery check - Check all terminals are free from debris and corrosion as this can effective conductivity - if in doubt have it checked professionally
- Charging system Check - If your battery has a strong output but is still unable to recharge, the issue may be with your alternator. The alternator draws energy from the engine to recharge the battery as you drive
- Regular Charges - It may seem obvious, but not using your car, especially over extended holiday periods can result in your battery losing charge. To avoid a flat car battery make a point of starting up the ignition every day it is not in use. Running the car for just 5-10 minutes will avoid a frustrating first day back after the Christmas break.
- Don't be tempted to use air compressors, phone charges or radio with the engine turned off as this will directly drain the battery. Even short periods of use without the engine running will result in a flat battery.
- Drive Your Car - A short journey will allow the battery to recharge itself better than any other method.