No More Tax Discs

30th Sep 2014

After 93 years, tax discs on vehicles in the UK will become irrelevant on October 1st 2014. However, you'll still have to pay vehicle excise duty (road tax) of course, but the actual disc itself is being replaced by a new, electronic system.

This new system is set to save the treasury (and the tax payer) around £10m every year, because the DVLA won't have to print a single one of the usual 40 million tax discs that are issued every single year.

You may or may not have noticed that you can already go to the government's website and check if a car has road tax or a valid MOT certificate, simply by entering the registration number and vehicle make of the car. Well, because the police can do this too - even on a smartphone or via the cameras on the back of their police vehicle - there is no need for vehicles to have an actual tax disc displayed in the window.
Tax disc
How do I tax my car?

From October 1st, you'll need to tax your vehicle in the usual way. You'll still get a reminder, and you can purchase road tax for your vehicle online, on the phone or at the Post Office. Online and telephone services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

How do I get a refund/what happens if I sell my car?

If you sell the car to a motor retailer such as ourselves, simply tell the DVLA and they will automatically issue a refund of any full-months tax remaining on the vehicle. There will be no more tax refund forms, and if you don't notify the DVLA of any changes in ownership, you could receive a fine of up to £1,000.

How do I tax a used car?

If you're buying a used car, you can tax the vehicle using the new keeper's supplement, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, online or on phone. Though if you purchase a vehicle from Evans Halshaw, we will always do this for you.

How do I pay for road tax?

Road tax can be paid for in the same way as before, either for 6-month or 12-month periods. This can be done either on the phone, online or at the Post Office.
From November the 1st, the DVLA will offer a new Direct Debit service, which allows you to pay for road tax monthly, though it will cost slightly more to do so.

Can a used car be sold with tax?

No, from October the first, when a vehicle is transferred to either a retailer or a new owner, the road tax will need to be refunded to the current owner, and the new owner will have to purchase their own tax. Think of it like this: the road tax belongs to the owner, not the car.