Someone calling for accident assistance

Motability Help: Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to the most common Motability queries

Let's Get Started

We've no doubt that you'll have questions about Motability, especially if you're new to the scheme. This FAQ will answer all of the popular questions that arise when applying for Motability.

And fear not, if you happen to have any more questions, our team at your local Evans Halshaw will be on hand to help further.

Motability Customer Online Account

The Motability Scheme online account allows you to quickly and easily manage your lease from the comfort of your own home. You can:

  • Track the progress of your application
  • Start the application for renewal process, giving you more time at the dealership to find your perfect car
  • Update contact details and personal information
  • View, add or change drivers during your lease

 Login or create account

Questions and Answers

How do I find the most suitable car for me?

Our highly trained team will be more than happy to take you for a test drive to help you find a car that meets your needs. Alternatively, you can browse our range of Motability offers.

Where is my nearest dealer?

You can find your nearest Evans Halshaw Motability dealer here.

Is there a maximum age for the scheme?

There is no maximum age for a Motability car as long as you receive either the Enhanced Rate of PIP or Higher Rate Mobility Allowance.

How many people can I have on my insurance?

You can have two nominated drivers for free of charge, however, you can swap these at any time over the lease for no charge. If you wish to have more drivers on the insurance you can do by paying £75 per year.

What cars are available at Nil Advance Payment?

You can lease many different cars with Nil Advance Payment, including City Cars, Hatchbacks, MPVs and even SUVs from a variety of brands. Take a look at our Motability offers to see which models are available.

Where can I get my MOT done?

You can book an MOT with Evans Halshaw towards the end of the three year agreement. The cost of the MOT is included in your Motability worry-free package.

Do you do automatics?

Yes, we stock a wide range of fully automatic vehicles. Take a look at the variety of brands here.

What happens if there is damage on my car?

Don't worry if you have any damage on your car, Motability expect there to be general fair wear and tear. If you do have a bump in your vehicle simply just call 0500 37 37 37and the helpful team at RSA Insurance will sort everything out.

Do I need to have a driving licence?

If you opt for a lease agreement you do not need to drive. You can nominate up to two drivers who may be friends or relatives, and parents or carers can apply on behalf of a child aged three years and upwards. However, proposed drivers must not have any serious driving convictions, disqualifications, or endorsements within the last 5 years. There are also some restrictions on drivers under 25 and those with provisional licenses.

How can I track my application?

You can track your Motability application in your online account.

What is the New Vehicle Payment and when will I get it?

Motability have introduced New Vehicle Payment to help Motability customers afford a new car as costs are on the rise. You'll receive a payment of £750 when you acquire your Motability vehicle if:

  • You're new to the Motability Scheme
  • You're renewing at the end of your existing vehicle lease

If you're eligible, you can choose to use your NVP to offset the AP (Advance Payment) or pay the full AP as normal and receive the NVP via your preferred payment method at handover. 

Can my son or daughter drive the car?

If your son or daughter has a valid licence, they can be put on the insurance. However if they are under the age of 21, they do need to be living at home. There is also a limit of 115BHP and insurance category 16 if the proposed driver is under the age of 25.

Can I visit a dealership for more information?

Of course. Our dealerships are completely accessible, with disabled parking bays, restrooms, and wheelchair access in and out of the showroom.

Can I change my Motability car during the term?

Under the Motability agreement you will have agreed to lease your car for the full length of the agreement. However, if you have a valid reason to end the agreement early, you should contact us as soon as possible.

What do I do if I lose my mobility allowance?

Existing recipients of the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) who are not awarded the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) will not be eligible to use the Motability Scheme.

Leaving the Scheme will be a difficult transition for these customers and their families. For this reason, the Motability scheme has decided to provide a one-off package of transitional support to those customers who can no longer use the Scheme as a result of their initial DLA to PIP reassessment. This package will be reviewed regularly and changes may be made to it as a result.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will allow DLA payments to continue for four weeks after they make their decision regarding PIP. In addition to this, the Scheme will allow customers to retain their Motability vehicle for up to three weeks after DLA payments end.

Can I book a test drive?

Whether or not you are the driver of the car, we recommend that you take a test drive to help us ensure that we can find the right car for you.

Do I need to be in the car when it is used?

The car must be used only for the purpose of the disabled person, although they do not need to be present in the vehicle at all times. The car can be used for daily jobs, such as shopping, as long as the disabled customer benefits.

What if I've already got a car?

Trade-in: With Evans Halshaw you have the option of trading in your existing privately-owned car. This means you can use the value of your car against any possible advance payment on your new Motability car, or you can save the money to spend however you wish.

You can also simply sell your car to us.

Do I get my advance payment back?

You do not get your advance payment back however at the end of your three year agreement you could receive a good condition bonus. You could put this towards your next advance payment and it is also a great incentive to keep the car clean.

Can I get a car in any colour I want?

In short, yes. Our Motability specialists will advise you on what colours are available for particular models on the Motability Scheme.

How do I add or change the named drivers on my insurance policy?

You can update named driver information in your online account or by calling RSA Motability.

Still have a question?

Fear not. If you have anymore questions relating to the Motability scheme, contact your local Evans Halshaw today to find an answer to your query. 

Or if you have found the answers you need and now want to decide what car you would like, take a look at our latest Motability offers here.